21 May 2010

Surprises



It’s snowing this morning.  Am I thankful for snow?  Not particularly.  All it’s doing is a) making walking the dog more difficult and b) supporting my procrastinatory ways in allowing me another excuse not to plant the garden (albeit a good one).  Besides, I was a good girl and took the winter (studded) tires off of my vehicle already, so if the snow keeps up, it will be slow going on the roads.  Not to mention all the maniacs out there refusing to change their driving styles despite the distinct change in weather pattern. 

So, I don’t actually tend to like surprises very much.  I’m not a big fan of the overwhelming emotion that surprises stir up in me.  I guess it’s probably a control thing.  I go out of my way to make sure I am not surprised.  I knew about the surprise baby shower that my friend threw for me before I had Sweetman; not that it was difficult to find out given that one of my classmates at the time sent out an email about the shower on our education listserv that I was, of course, subscribed to.  She made me promise to delete the email without reading it.  Do you think I read it?  Of course I read it!  Do you not know me at all?!  First of all, I’m nosey as all hell.  I like to be in the know about shit.  Even if it’s not my business.  I’m just curious is all.  So, I read the email, and boy was I glad that I did!  Knowing provided for two more benefits other than emotional control: I was able to dress appropriately.  I mean, jeez, I mighta shown up in my sweats otherwise (I was six months pregnant, after all), and there would have been fifty of my closest friends, family members, classmates, and coworkers.  No thanks! Instead, I prettied myself up good-like, in so much as I could in my whalish state at the time.  And I was retaining some serious water at that point too.   Second, it ensured that I didn’t try to bail out.  I was tired a lot at that point.  And not a big fan of socializing.  I mean, I’m not a big fan of socializing in the first place, so add water retention and all the other shit that goes on when you’re pregnant, and my crankiness level was turned up a notch.  I may very well have tried to tell Chuncho that I wanted to beg off for the evening and go hang out and bbq some other night.  He would then have been forced to tell me that there was a surprise shower waiting for me, and there was no begging off allowed.  Knowing in advance ensured that poor Chuncho wasn’t put in such a position.  I told him later that I knew from the email.  But, to this day, my sweet friend still thinks she pulled the surprise off.

The odd time, though, someone succeeds in surprising me.  As was the case of the surprise visit from Miss Italia several years ago.  And talk about a response from me!  Screaming, jumping up and down, crying.  She did good on that surprise.  And I was wholeheartedly emotionally overwhelmed!  It was wonderful.  And all caught on video, unfortunately! 

The most recent surprise happened on Tuesday night.  Chuncho was working out of town, and so I was making him a late dinner.  He’d phoned to say he was a few minutes away, so I was putting together his quesadilla.  Sweetman met him at the door with his standard, “Booyakasha!”.  Then, he came running to the kitchen, “Mummy, mummy, daddy’s got a puppy!”  I didn’t believe him, “No, no, Sweetman, we’re going to pick the puppy up on Saturday.” Because that was the plan.  Chuncho was heading south, and on Saturday morning, Dea, Sweetman, Brumby and I were gonna head down and pick up the puppy.  Silly me thinking that things would go according to plan!  Again, Sweetman says, “No mummy, daddy’s got a puppy!”  All the while, he’s jumping around like some kind of 42 pound maniac, so I’m thinking that something is making him pretty excited…maybe it’s a neighbour’s dog with Chuncho or something.  But no.  Chuncho, the sneaky bastard, had to go down to the puppy mama’s neck of the woods for work in Tuesday, so he brought the puppy home with him early!  In all honesty, I’m cool that I didn’t have to make the six hour return trip.  I would have really enjoyed meeting the other puppies, but I’m okay with it.  And now, this is the view in my living room:




How can you not love it?  Well, I’m not in love with the big deuce he left on the carpet this morning immediately after he ate breakfast, but at least now I know that his digestive system works FAST! 
Anyways, in my age I am coming to learn that sometimes, surprises ain’t so bad.  And I’m grateful for this week’s puppy surprise (and no more puppy surprises on the carpet, little Mr. Sampy Pants, please and thank-you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment